Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Nicaraguan Reflection

Hey guys! Hope everyone is well. I just wanted to post this, mostly because it's a neat story. One of our professors here is a drama professor at Alfred University in New York, and he asked us to write down stories to post about what Nicaragua was to each of us individually...This is the story I wrote with the tentative title (please be patient with my writing...I'm NOT a writer or dramatist. This is just a reflection from the heart).

"The Voice of Nicaragua"

Although my time here has been far too short, there is something
about the Nicaraguan people that transcends the limits of time: their
spirit of compassion and selflessness. From the moment we stepped of
the bus in Esteli, it was very clear that we students were on the top
of their priority list. From the pastor of our church to the church
member, and even some random people on the streets, there was a sense
of excitement about life that seemed so out of place when there are so
many individuals that can barely make ends meet. I will always
remember our first day here in Esteli, when we walked up to the top of
of one of the hills surrounding the city, to the house of a small
family, to take advantage of the view.

The mother met us at the door, saying, "I've been waiting all day for
you all to arrive." I thought she knew we were coming until our host
said, "But how? I didn't tell you we were coming.". In response, the
woman said, "I just had a feeling," and then opened the door to share
with us. This was the story of our week, of people opening their
homes, minds and hearts to us in the midst of struggles and sometimes
in the midst of the unknown.

In the end, Nicaragua made a permanent impression on me, not because
it's people took us into our homes; instead, I am truly changed
because of how quickly these NIcaraguans took us into their hearts.

***Hope you all enjoyed, and I hope it gave you a glimpse into my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment