Wednesday, March 3, 2010

To Nicaragua, and BEYOND!

First of all, extremely overdue apologies are in order considering the fact that I haven't posted in several weeks about my experiences here in Latin America. In my defense...well, I've just been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. That's really my only excuse.

SO, where to begin? With over half the semester over already, it is overwhelming to try to reflect on it all. I suppose the best place to start would be with my Nicaragua experience. So here it goes.

I must begin by prefacing that Nicaragua is a country that is so different from our own in so many ways that one could believe that a trip to this tiny Latin American country is like stepping on a shuttle to the Moon. We're still in the same solar system, but there's a world of a difference (forgive my punniness). With that being said, Nicaragua is a beautiful country with a gracious, benevolent and humble people. There are somewhere around 14 volcanoes (some still active), the second largest lake in Latin American (Lake Nicaragua, which is also home to the world's only species of fresh water sharks), as well as gorgeous mountian regions blended with dense, hot, rainforests. This natural uniqueness combined with the fact that travel, lodging, and food are very inexpensive has made Nicaragua a hotspot for tourists from all over the world (I met people from Canada, the States, and Europe while I was there). However, on a trip to Nicaragua one must also be prepared to witness some very devastating effects of poverty and globalization. The country has been highly exploited by companies looking to make a quick penny in a country that does a lousy job at enforcing workers rights such as minimun wage (Most of these companies are from the States).

What amazed me the most about Nicaragua and it's people is, in spite of all the suffering and harm they've been through and as little as they have to give, they are some of the most giving and generous people that I have ever met in my life. A special family in EstelĂ­, Nicaragua, invited me into their home for a week and shared with me their lives. Even more special, my church there took me in and loved me in a way I didn't think was possible for individuals you've only known for a short week. I was made a part of the church, and these people changed their lives to revolve around me and my group for an entire week. They took us all over their home, showing us both the natural beauty and the beauty of la gente nicaragĂșense. They also taught me how to worship in a situation where, for most North Americans (including myself at first), thinking about God would be the furthest thing from their minds. Most of all, I was truly impressed by how happy these people seem to be, living in a house without air-conditioning, a refrigerator, or even indoor plumbing. In spite of all that, these Nicaraguans were some of the most contented people I've ever had the priviledge to know. That is Nicaragua to me.

I could go on forever, but some things just aren't meant for a blog. (Besides, I have to have some stories to tell, right???? LOL).

Much love, and thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Pablo =)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul!!!!!

    Wow, sounds like you have had an incredible experience so far. Being in Latin America, you may get a chance to show off a little of that Cha-Cha we learned on the Alaskan cruise - you can give us a few pointers when you return. Please continue to stay safe, learn much, and have a great time! I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete